.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Habeas Blogus

Book reviews, more for my memory than anything else.

Name:
Location: Austin, Texas, United States

Saturday, August 25, 2007

Wom Kim's Peach Pudding

Incandragon will disagree with me, but not by very much I think. I've long considered Wom Kim's Peach Pudding, served at Hyde Park Bar & Grille in Austin, to be the best dessert in the city. It's a light, spongy sweet cake, light and springy and pourous, with thinly sliced peaches at the bottom. It's served floating in a pool of cream, and they give you a ramekin full of cream to pour over the top.

This cake is amazing because it stays right there and absorbs the cream, holding it, ready like a tres leches to release it all when you start to chew. I've never been able to duplicate it. The recipe in the magazine says to use "sweetened whipped cream", but that would forego the best part, and in my opinion, obscure the delicate texture.

I've been casually glancing through their RSVP section for years, thinking to myself "I wonder if they'll have the recipe for Wom Kim's this time... nah, they wouldn't write that up. It'd be too lucky. Maybe I should write them one day and ask them..." Well this time, someone in Dallas did just that. It's in the August 2007 issue (page 38). They don't sell the virtues of the cake like they should. They should put it on the damn cover as far as I'm concerned. It's really that good. I called my wife over because I was too weak to stand. I think I may have muttered in tongues for several minutes, trying to calculate whether or not I had all the ingredients. I had always thought it was a corn cake of some sort, but no... it's just buttermilk (and lots and lots of butter).

Incandragon, you must bring this to Seattle!

Wom Kim's Peach Pudding

As this bakes, the fruit will sink to the bottom of the pan.

Nonstick vegetable oil spray
1 3/4 cups plus 2 T all purpose flour
2 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cups (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 3/4 cups sugar
2 tablespoons vanilla extract
2 large eggs
3/4 cups buttermilk

4 c peeled sliced peaches (from about 3 pounds)

Whipping cream (sweetened as you prefer)

Preheat over to 350F. Spray 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish with vegetable oil spray. Whisk flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda in medium bowl. Using electric mixer, beat butter in large bowl until smooth. Gradually beat in sugar. Beat in vanilla, then eggs, 1 at a time, incorporating well after each addition. Using low speed, beat in flour mixture alternately with buttermilk in 3 additions each, beating well between additions.

Transfer batter to baking dish, spreading evenly. Arrange peach slices over batter, overlapping slightly as needed. Spray sheet of foil with vegetable oil spray; cover cake with foil, spray side down, and seal at edges.

Bake 45 minutes. Remove foil (some cake may stick). Bake until top is golden brown, edges are crusty, and tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 40 minutes longer. Cool 1 hour. Serve warm with cream.

Enjoy!

6 Comments:

Blogger Melissa Tyler said...

I don't know if I doubt it. It's the best *non-chocolate* dessert in Austin, no doubt. A tie with any chocolate dessert almost gives it the win, strangely ...

Mon Aug 27, 06:52:00 AM  
Blogger Jess said...

Better than the dark chocolate and raspberry cheesecake at Mozart's?

Dude.

Mon Aug 27, 08:13:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Porous. Couldn't help myself.

Sun Sep 23, 08:31:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Wom Kim's! Hyde Park will also print the recipe for you if you ask them, no problem. My waitress gave me the recipe but I haven't tried to duplicate it yet. It's too easy to stop in and indulge!

Tue Dec 25, 09:15:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you Thank you Thank you for posting this!!! My girlfriend found it by googling it after finding out how much I loved it (I took her to Hyde Park recently when we day tripped to Austin) and she made it for me for Valentine's Day as a surprise. Thank you soooo much!! Your Karma account has expanded.

Fri Feb 15, 08:09:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow! thank you for posting this! I used to treat myself to a Wom Kim's at least once a month when I lived in Hyde Park. I moved to San Antonio 7 years ago and been able to make it by Hyde Park Cafe only a few times since then. I can't wait to make this, it is definitely my favorite dessert by far!

Mon Aug 04, 12:53:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home