.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Habeas Blogus

Book reviews, more for my memory than anything else.

Name:
Location: Austin, Texas, United States

Monday, March 26, 2007

From India...

I'm writing from Bangalore, India right now. I got in about 12 hours ago and went into the office about 6 hours later. I'm trying to wrap up some stuff here before I go back, then have a little nap, then just do nothing at all until it's time to go to bed.

I've got lots to say about just this past 12 hours as well as the bonus stopover I had in Paris (I know, I still haven't finished the story about the last one), but it'll have to come out a little at a time, just like everything else around here.

So farI've had two meals here, and both were lovely. I tried to make mutton biryani once and, yeah... it sucked. Today's was beautiful. The rice was perfectly cooked, the mutton fell off the bone... yeah, I sure as hell ain't going to McDonalds or Pizza Hut while I'm here.

I'm going to try to post some pictures, but I have to find a card reader first.

On Saturday I'm going to see the Taj Mahal, which is on the list of things that I have to see before I die. There are thousands of things I want to see, but the Taj is one of the biggies, one of the ones where I'd have myself put on a palanquin and carried by coolies and we can just call it my deathbed if I'm dying and haven't seen it.

Thinking about it now I can't really think of what the others are. Let me just name the first few that come to mind:

I can't decide whether I should put Mecca on the list. For a variety of reasons it's unlikely that I'll ever be able to go there. Most of the above list is doable, even within a single month, and I'm sure I'll be fortunate enough to have such a month... but Mecca, as amazing as it would be, is just too far out of my family's comfort zone... maybe too far outside of my own.

I just realized I've spent 15 minutes typing up places I want to go, when in fact I'm in one of the most interesting places on the planet. As a species, we're just never ever satisfied with what is in front of our faces, are we?

More soon...

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You appear to be saying that this weekend's visit to the Taj Mahal will bring you one step closer to death and you are delighted by this.

Mon Mar 26, 05:44:00 AM  
Blogger Jess said...

I always find that getting part of what I want makes me think about the rest of what I want, too ;).

Dude, if you go and see the Sagrada Familia, take me with you?

Mon Mar 26, 08:35:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home