.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Habeas Blogus

Book reviews, more for my memory than anything else.

Name:
Location: Austin, Texas, United States

Thursday, October 26, 2006

Okay, so I'm doing it too...

I make no promises, nor do I obligate myself to anything. This is just an attempt to get some discipline back into my writing.

1,667 words a day is achievable, and I've held that pace before, but not for 30 days straight. When I wrote the Paris travelogue it was in 2,500-3,500 word bursts for several weeks, but I took a few nights off.

But my main problem with this, with all of NaNoWriMo, is that it takes place in November. For anyone who just sees this blog, the literary side of me, it may come as a surprise that I'm a bit of a sports fan. College and professional football play their best, most important games during November. So, my proposal (to myself) is this: Saturday, Sunday, and Monday nights, I can only watch football during and after I've finished my word count for the day. That will mean I miss a lot of the action, but I'll still be able to look up when Al Michaels gets really fired up. My outline and characters are pretty much done, so I should be able to just rip on through.

Research is a big problem and a priority, but once the gates open up I'm going to make up everything I don't already know. This will be exceedingly difficult for me, since for the Basque novel I spent hundreds of hours researching everything from agricultural yields in Gernika circa 1937 to the chemical composition of the dynamite used to assassinate Prime Minister Luis Carrero Blanco in 1973. I wouldn't go on until I had the facts right. I can't do that here. I'll just have to use Word's highlighter feature to mark areas where, if I do anything with it after November, I'll have to revisit something.

In thinking about what research problems I'm going to hit, I've already come up with a thousand questions I won't even begin to have the time to answer in the next few days: exactly what would be the title of a Marquis' son in France circa 1788? What do they call the slip, or petticoat, or undergarment worn by ladies of the period? What exactly is the procedure for getting dressed in the morning? And what are the differences between the procedures for men vs. women? If a French aristocrat owns land far away from Paris, but still involves himself heavily in the management of such an estate, what would be the likelihood of his being treated fairly by his "subjects" when the Revolution comes?

And many, many more. Expect a very fractured rough draft in terms of research. I don't intend to do much to fix it before the deadline.

Anywho, wish me luck! It'll be very nice to be writing again. It's been over a year and I miss it like I miss, well, Paris...

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Look at it this way, Marcus, there's a support group at work. :D

Oh and as far as I know, at least according to everything I've read and reseached, its a petticoat.

Thu Oct 26, 11:05:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

20-12-1973.....False Flag ?

Sun Oct 29, 10:25:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home